Monday, January 19, 2009

Though January 17th started as any other day, I would never have guessed that it would turn into the best day of my life. In the evening, I had every intention of just lunging Maia in a saddle, as I was getting her used to wearing it. I don’t know what it was that made it so clear, but I knew that tonight was the night, and not every horse is the same, and has to wait until they are exactly 3. She is now 2 years and 9 months old, and two nights ago, I rode her for the very first time.
We finished up lunging, and Jaimie put Ben away to help me. I walked to up next to the mounting block and put my feet in the stirrups and put weight in them. I banged on the saddle, I jostled it, I leaned over her back. She didn’t take a single step the entire time. She was just waiting patiently. Jaimie returned with my helmet, and began leading Maia around and pushing in the stirrups herself. I stood on the block while she led her up next to me, and I slowly put my foot in the stirrup once more, I let her first feel my whole weight, then I lifted my other leg and swung it over. And there I was.
Maia stood, and a second later, began to lick her lips and chomp on the bit. The praise was like she had never heard before, but she couldn’t understand why. To her, this was no biggie. It was as if I was the beginner, and she had been doing this for years. Jaimie led us around in a circle, letting her go out as if she were lunging, just a little in the walk. I couldn’t contain my happiness, and silent tears snuck down my face. We halted and then walked on a few times, and were even brave enough to try the trot, only for a few steps. It was so big, so monumental, everything we had been working towards for the last two months, day in and day out. I didn’t want to spoil anything, so as much as I never wanted to, I slipped off of her and walked her around the arena a few times, praising her constantly. I put her up in a daze, and it lasted me until the next day, until I couldn’t resist tacking her up a second time, this time with Diane there.
Again I lunged her normally, and Diane came in before I got on, to see for her self. Once more, Jaimie led her around the block and I mounted, and the bliss returned in full swing. We walked around, practicing halting and then moving forward to the pressure of my leg, something we hadn’t introduced the night before. I took the contact, and she reached for it, down into it, and she felt my hands on her mouth and embraced them without question or fear. The line was let out a little so we had a little more independence, and I began to take her from left to right, and then straight. By the end of the ten minute ride, she understood that my leg meant go, and my hands and deeper seat meant stop. It was an experience I will never forget, and to share it with her means so much to me, it is the one thing I cannot even try to put into words.

1 comment:

  1. but oh my dear, you've put it in to words oh so ever exquisitely. she is an absolute doll and she is lucky to have you. weren't the two of you destined to be together?

    ReplyDelete